25 October 2016

Extra Life and Extra Job...

  The Old Dragoon has just completed his first tour of duty as a college professor.  All that work getting my MA paid off.  I have been hired as an adjunct faculty member in our Student Development department, and I am currently teaching my second crop of students in the Effective Learning course, EDUC 1300.  It's incredibly satisfying work, my students wrapped up our 8-week double speed semester by bringing donuts and a card in which they wrote some wonderful commentary on how my efforts have helped them become better students.  It's moving to know that I've actually made a difference for these kids, and that I've taken a course none of them actually wanted to take and made it interesting and even a bit entertaining.

  So teaching is now my secondary gig on top of my 40/wk as a senior IT technician.  It's hard to find time to keep the dice rolling, but now that my first go-round is over, and I'm repeating the material for new students, things are easing up a bit.  I've been running some D&D about once a month for my son and my goddaughters, and that's been a blast.
 
  My son Zane is shaping up to be a pretty good combination of the geek I was growing up and the sportsman my dad and stepdad wish I'd been.  The kid has an amazing arm for football, and is now a yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do.  I'm so proud of him.  My daughter Kaylee is pretty awesome, too.  I can't wait to post a picture of her in her Rey costume for Halloween.  It's now been five years since I've been their dad - we fostered and adopted - and it's been a crazy adventure, but the best one yet.  The only thing I  love more than a good tabletop game is my wonderful little family - my wife, my kiddos, and the den of geeks we've assembled into our community.

  So... what's this about Extra Life?  Well, our gaming club is going to be undertaking a 24 hour game to raise funds for Extra Life in support of the Children's Miracle Network hospitals.  It works like a charity race, people sponsor others to play.  But in this case, we're challenged to play for 24 hours.  Since we have a couple of members who've requested we break the 24 hours up, we've elected to do it in a six hour session on Friday,  11 November 2016.  We'll hit a twelve hour session on Saturday, 12 November and wrap up with another six hours on 13 November.

  We're going to be playing Dungeon Crawl Classics, the amazing retro-style fantasy RPG by Goodman Games.  Stay tuned for more information on the Extra Life game right here on The Old Dragoon's Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment