12 July 2015

D&D 30-Day Challenge: Day 18- Favorite Planar Being / Creature

OK, I'll make an admission.  I'm not a fan of planar travel in D&D.  I have no idea why, I just never got into it.

If I had to pick a planar creature to be a "favorite" I suppose it would be the Night Hag.  Those are planar, right?  I mean, I found them listed in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium Annex.

Night Hags are everything that scares people about the traditional "witch" type monster- not a female human that practices witchcraft, but the kind of gnarled, crone-looking witch of dark fairy tales.  Night Hags hunt humans for their spirits/souls and are wicked powerful at 8 HD.  They are not unreasonable killers, though - they can be treated with, bargained with, and even be useful if you can trade them something the value more than your life force.  Something like information.  This makes them a great addition to a campaign when you want to throw overly swordplay-happy PCs a curve, and show them a truly frightening monster that just might be more useful to them alive than vanquished.

No comments:

Post a Comment